Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17, 2014 { Josie }

Washington D.C.

How my heart is full!  Where have 2.3 weeks flown?  I am on the last leg of my 40 something hour voyage home and though weary, so incredibly grateful!  God granted me such a wonderful trip!  It was very hard to leave Congo, to leave Gabe and the kids, and to leave some very dear people that we have grown to love so much... Since I have but a short time before I catch my last flight to CA (and finally get to see some precious little faces and big ones too : )!!), I thought I'd share a few thoughts ruminating in my head. 

What precious people Didier and Annie, and their kids are!  There is great beauty seen in a life dedicated to serving the King of Kings with such clear focus and determination, and at the same time a lovely simplicity.  Their lives over there are hard and they experience much more suffering than we here in America.  Though life is difficult in Congo, these dear people unwaveringly run their race with such great fervor and patience always ready to help those in need (and they don't have much to begin with as it is!).  Yet they have all they need and are so content.  Indeed a rare thing...

Maman Angelique and her daughter Gracia, who are the main care workers at the orphanage, the other pastors: Mickey, Stephan and Coco, their wives and elders and workers at the orphanage also have found special respect and places in our hearts as well.  I already miss these sweet, hard-working people and of course dear Gabe, Andrew and Marion... I also miss the sweet faces of the little orphans, encouraging fellowship with Didier and Annie and her amazing cooking, as well as the fiery coral sunsets that would usher in the dark nights shrouded with twinkling stars. Even our comfortable little guest house complete with our little furry mouse scurrying about I miss.  Strange how even little things can become meangingful.  God's gifts truly abound everywhere, all the time... I think often though, I just don't have eyes to see them in the busyness of life, or I'm simply not choosing to see little things as the gifts they are.  For example, who would think that toilet paper is a gift?  Let me tell you, it is!! : )  For those of you who have been found it wanting, you know what I'm talking about! ; )

One highlight that will stick in my head for many years, is when Gabe hooked up a water faucet in the orphanage where I happened to be painting.   He, Andrew and the guys got all the pipes melted together and then finally the moment came when he turned the faucet on.  Oh!!!  Maman Angelique, who has been caring for all the orphans without running water for years, cried out, laughed and was so full of joy brimming over from her heart full of gratitude!  She was so excited at this prospect and what it would mean for them as well as for the people of the community!  She said what a great way to evangelize the community!  Free, potable water!!  Many others who have wells, charge the locals for water, so this is huge.  Especially in a country where water is scarce and quite difficult to come by.

Though I was so busy painting, I didn't get to spend a lot of time with the orphans but I did get to see how sweet they are!  They are so well taken care of and really are dear children!  BTW, I did try to take several photos of your kiddos, (parents who are in the process of adopting).  However, we did not give them the photo books of your families yet since adoptions are still on hold over there but we did give them their little animals (and shirts Browns : ).  Didier thought it would be too hard for them to see the pix right now and tucked them away to show them a month or so before they leave.

Running out of time before I catch my flight...  Visiting Congo was amazing and I truly hope the Lord will grant us another trip one day.  I gotta say though, there is truly no place like home!  When my plane landed in D.C., my eyes couldn't help but fill.  Not only had God granted my a safe voyage (thus far : ), and He continues to be so incredibly good, I was in the good ol U.S.!  I know I've shared this before, but how easy it is for me to take things for granted!  I love clean running water and soap and the amazing infrastructure of our country!  It's so organized and clean!  I got  my first shower today in over 2 weeks (ohhhhhhhh, what a gift!!).  Don't get me wrong, I did get to bathe, it just wasn't as easy or luxurious ; ).  Our lives are so very easy here in America!  May we remember this as we enjoy the great blessings the Lord showers us with (get the theme that's in my head? ; ).  How exceedingly good our amazing God is and may I learn to be more grateful to, and for Him!!  Will post pix in the next couple of days... Off to catch a flight! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment